The custodian/housekeeping position at Salina Public Library provides high quality, friendly and professional services. The position requires a person who takes pride in their work. The key service for this position is maintaining cleanliness in all areas of Library buildings. This includes vacuuming, cleaning, wiping down tables & furniture, mopping floors, taking out the trash and cleaning the staff lounge. To be a part of our Library team, a positive attitude, flexibility and willingness to work well with everyone is required.
|Reports To||Building Manager|
|Hours/Schedule||Part-Time – 18 hours per week
Monday: 7-10 a.m.
Schedules are adjusted as needed for the Library.
|Starting Hourly Pay||$11.35|
|Benefits||Paid time off.|
|Minimum Education||High School diploma or equivalent|
|Work Experience||Custodial / housekeeping experience preferred, but not required.|
|Supervisory Experience||Not required.|
Duties & Responsibilities
The custodian/housekeeper must…
- utilize technology efficiently, effectively and appropriately.
- be able to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy.
- comply with all Library policies and procedures.
- have the ability to work independently and is trustworthy to work unsupervised.
- be reliable. Work scheduled hours, show up ready to work on time and use breaks appropriately.
- be able to take direction, be honest and work with integrity.
- be willing to help in any area of the Library as needed.
- vacuum and mop all areas of the Library buildings weekly and as requested.
- clean bathrooms on Saturdays.
- clean all areas of the Library buildings on a daily basis.
- collect and take out trash throughout the Library and on Library grounds daily.
- steam clean areas of Library buildings.
- clean carpets throughout Library buildings.
- assisting the building manager as requested.
- other duties as assigned.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Pre-employment drug screen. (Post-employment drug screen may also take place.)
- Pre-employment background check.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
- The ability to work with a variety of technology equipment and applications. Applications include, but not limited to HVAC, documents, internet browsers, email, and Google Drive.
- Ability to use basic tools.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and wear professional clothing in adherence to the dress code policy.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Typically moderate physical work. At times physical work is at a high level.
- Lifting, carrying and pushing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance.
- Constant lifting, carrying, standing, walking, bending, climbing stairs, twisting, reaching, pulling and pushing. Climbing onto building roofs. Using ladders.
- Work inside and outside. Working in a variety of weather conditions.
- Cleaning chemicals and other building/equipment chemicals.
- Noise level can be high at times.
- Speech and hearing abilities to maintain communication with patrons and co-workers.
- Vision to read and interpret reports, written documents and technology communications.
- May assist with Library book drops or event setups on or off-site.
*The above position information is intended to describe the duties of an employee in general terms and does not necessarily describe all of his/her duties or responsibilities.
How to Apply
Complete the online application. Attach your resume.
(A quick video introduction of yourself with an explanation of why you would like to work at Salina Public Library, is also appreciated but not required. This can be sent by email to [email protected].)
If you have additional questions, please contact Dustin Cumberland, Building Manager, [email protected] or 785-825-4624.
Position start Date: August 17, 2020