Salina Public Library is looking to hire security guards for weekend and evening shifts. The security guards at Salina Public Library provide high quality, friendly and professional services. As a guard, one must provide excellent customer service and understand how to work with diverse patrons. Effective communication is a must and the ability to respond to security issues in a decisive and confidential manner. To be a part of our Library team, a positive attitude, flexibility and willingness to work well with everyone is required. Must be at least 18 years of age and willing to work evenings, weekends and on special occasions as needed.
|Job Title||Security Guard|
|Reports To||Security Manager|
*Hours will be filled by more than one person
Schedules are adjusted as needed for the Library.
|Starting Hourly Pay||$12.64|
|Annual Starting Salary||—|
|Minimum Education||High School diploma or equivalent|
|WORK EXPERIENCE||Preferred, but not required.|
|Supervisory Experience||Not required.|
Duties & Responsibilities
The security guard must…
- take an active, decisive role in daily safety and security issues.
- have technology skills to operate security systems and equipment, including but not limited to security cameras and alarm systems.
- maintain confidentiality.
- continually patrol library property, observe activity and take appropriate action as needed.
- monitor and react to emergencies and activities on library property.
- make safety/security announcements as needed.
- provide excellent customer service in-person, on the phone and within technology platforms.
- utilize technology efficiently, effectively and appropriately.
- be able to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy.
- communicate with a diverse set of patrons politely, appropriately and in a timely manner.
- comply with all library policies and procedures.
- help with patron questions and direct patrons to appropriate library departments as needed.
- have the willingness to help patrons with anything needed, manage multiple tasks and perform additional duties as assigned.
- have the ability to work independently and is trustworthy to work unsupervised.
- be reliable. Work scheduled hours, show up ready to work on time.
- be able to take direction, be honest and work with integrity.
- be willing to help in any area of the library as needed.
- other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Pre-employment drug screen. (Post-employment drug screen may also take place)
- Pre-employment background check.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
- The ability to work with a variety of technology equipment and applications. Applications include, but not limited to documents, sheets, internet browsers, email and Google Drive.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and wear professional clothing in adherence to the dress code policy.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Light to moderate physical work
- Lifting, carrying and pushing up to 40 pounds with or without assistance.
- Frequent lifting, carrying, standing, walking, bending, climbing stairs, twisting, reaching, pulling and pushing.
- Walking throughout the building and grounds continuously during the entire shift.
- Speech and hearing abilities to maintain communication with patrons and co-workers.
- Vision to read and interpret reports, written documents and technology communications.
- Work is primarily indoors, with some outdoor work for book drop pickups and other library event assistance.
*The above position information is intended to describe the duties of an employee in general terms and does not necessarily describe all of his/her duties or responsibilities.
How to Apply
Complete the online application. Attach your resume.
(A quick video introduction of yourself with an explanation of why you would like to work at Salina Public Library, is also appreciated but not required. This can be sent by email to [email protected].)
If you have additional questions, please contact Emilio Rivas, Security Manager at [email protected]
Position is open until filled. Estimated start date July 6, 2020.