The Processing Assistant position at Salina Public Library provides high quality, friendly and professional materials processing services. Materials are key to Library service, therefore in this position, the staff person is expected to work with items in an efficient, detailed and productive manner. To be a part of our Library team, a positive attitude, flexibility and willingness to work well with everyone is required.
|Job Title||Processing Assistant|
|Reports To||Department Head of Processing|
|Hours/Schedule||Full Time – 40 hours per week
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Schedules are adjusted as needed for the Library.
|Starting Hourly Pay||$12.03|
|Annual Starting Salary||$25,022.40|
|Minimum Education||Degree preferred. High School Diploma or equivalent required.|
|Work Experience||Library experience preferred, but not required.|
|Supervisory Experience||Not required.|
Duties & Responsibilities
The Processing Assistant must…
- unpack boxes with new library materials.
- check-in mail, newspapers and magazines.
- keep track of periodicals subscriptions.
- route and file paperwork.
- handle returns.
- process new and withdrawn library materials: periodicals, books, audiovisual materials, kits and games.
- stamp items
- apply barcodes and labels
- cover books
- create packaging for audiovisual materials, kits and games
- edit, add and delete records in the library’s online catalog
- fix various issues with existing materials.
- deliver processed materials to other departments.
- keep daily count of items processed.
- run daily holds reports.
- keep track of and order supplies.
- keep relevant departmental documentation up to date.
- work with volunteers.
- provide excellent customer service in-person, on the phone and within technology platforms.
- utilize technology efficiently, effectively and appropriately.
- be able to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy.
- comply with all Library policies and procedures.
- conduct general office and clerical tasks as needed.
- redirect questions and take patrons to other departments as needed.
- have the willingness to help patrons with anything needed, manage multiple tasks and perform additional duties as assigned.
- be able to access and use the Library catalog.
- have the ability to work independently and is trustworthy to work unsupervised.
- be reliable. Work scheduled hours, show up ready to work on time and use breaks appropriately.
- be able to take direction, be honest and work with integrity.
- be willing to help in any area of the Library as needed.
- other duties as assigned.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Pre-employment drug screen. (Post-employment drug screen may also take place.)
- Pre-employment background check.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
- The ability to work with a variety of technology equipment and applications. Applications include, but not limited to documents, sheets, internet browsers, email and Google Drive.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and wear professional clothing in adherence to the dress code policy.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Light to moderate physical work.
- Lifting, carrying and pushing up to 40 pounds with or without assistance.
- Frequent lifting, carrying, standing, walking, bending, climbing stairs, twisting, reaching, pulling and pushing.
- Speech and hearing abilities to maintain communication with patrons and co-workers.
- Vision to read and interpret reports, written documents and technology communications.
- Work is primarily indoors, with some outdoor work for book drop pickups and other Library event assistance.
*The above position information is intended to describe the duties of an employee in general terms and does not necessarily describe all of his/her duties or responsibilities.
How to Apply
Complete the online application. Attach your resume.
(A quick video introduction of yourself with an explanation of why you would like to work at Salina Public Library, is also appreciated but not required. This can be sent by email to [email protected])
If you have additional questions, please contact Nick Berezovsky, Department Head of Processing, [email protected] or 785-825-4624, ext. 237.
Position start date: Aug. 19