Are you laughing enough? Do you have funny and weird titles on your to-be-read and to-be-watched lists? Reading and enjoying the library can be educational, but also fun and funny. Here are some of my top picks for keeping it weird and funny all summer!
Perhaps the king and queen of funny weird, you can’t go wrong with a book by a Sedaris! There are so many hilarious moments in David Sedaris books that make them excellent funny reads during the busy summer. Most of his stories are easy to jump in and out of whether you’re managing kids at the playground or navigating the airport. His sister, Amy Sedaris, is equally hilarious. Though more famous for her hit TV shows and cameo appearances, her funky take on homemaking and crafts will surely help you lighten up and laugh about home chores and throwing summer parties.
- Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris
- Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
- When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
- Calypso by David Sedaris
- I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris
- Simple Times by Amy Sedaris
Funny people write funny books! These page-turners written by comedians are great quick reads that will make you laugh-out-loud. Mix them in with your genre favorites … or whatever you’re binging to help you keep your summer reading light-hearted.
- The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler
- I Know What I’m Doing, and Other Lies I Tell Myself: Dispatches from a Life Under Construction by Jen Kirkman
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- I’m Just a Person by Tig Notaro
- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life by Steve Martin
If the last time you read a book with pictures was in elementary school, you’re missing out. The graphic novel genre has allowed artists and writers to tell innovative stories in print. Of course, there are always the classic standby cartoons for adults too, like Far Side, which you can’t beat for a funny and weird combo! The library does have several of these titles, and they are in the adult section. *Summer Reading pro-tip, these quick pictorial reads count as books read too!
- Far Side Gallery by Gary Larson
- Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
- Amphigorey too by Edward Gorey
- What it Is by Lynda Barry
- Yuge!: 30 years of Doonesbury on Trump by G.B. Trudeau
- Different Dances by Shel Silverstein
It’s a strange coincidence that all of these movies have a strong red and blue themed cover. Or is this just reinforcing their connection as funny, weird movies? Here are a few of my top picks for funny and weird summer movies available in the library’s video collection.
- The Big Year
- The Royal Tenenbaums
- The Wedding Singer
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Nacho Libre
- Dumb and Dumber
Wishing you a summer of laugh-out-loud moments of your own!