Community Engagement Services
Salina Public Library is always looking for ways to serve the community and to serve potential library patrons where they are. We serve children, seniors, and everyone in between. Find a service that's right for you!
Youth Community Engagement
Story times are presented at local early childhood educations centers during the school year. We currently visit:
- Salina Child Care
- St. Mary's Love 'n Learn.
- Bitty Bites Salina Public Library partners with CAPS, Salina Emergency Food Bank, and K-State Extension Services to provide a monthly program for parents and their preschoolers. The children take part in story time, then make a snack inspired by the book. Parents learn tips on how to aid their child's development. Bitty Bites takes place at the Salina Emergency Food Bank, 255 S. Chicago. Sign up is required by calling Peggy at CAPS 785-825-4493.
- Child Care Delivery is a new service offered by the library and is available to registered child care providers in Salina. Fill out an application to begin receiving monthly deliveries of children's books.
- Patrons who are temporarily or permantly confined to their homes or who live in nursing homes, care centers, or retirement residences may have library materials delivered to them at no charge. Home Delivery is available to residents of the city of Salina. To enroll in Home Delivery, call Lori at 785-825-4624 ext. 249, or print an application form.
- Homebound patrons requiring audio books may be interested in the CKLS Talking Books Service. They provide books and magazines in braille and in audio format, along with the audio equipment needed. To set up this service, visit their website, or call 1-800-362-2642.
- Little Libraries Donated and discarded library materials are distributed to our four Little Libraries, where people are encouraged to take a book and return a book. Book donations are acceptied at the library anytime during regular business hours. Little Libraries are located at:
- Kansas Wesleyan University, at the corner of Highland Ave. and Claflin St.
- YMCA, 570 YMCA Dr.
- Jerry Ivey Memorial Park, 735 E. Magnolia Rd.
- Salina Regional Health Center lobby, 400 S. Santa Fe Ave.
- Three more coming soon!
- Our current adopters are:
Melanie Terrill and Mike Soetart
- Lobby Stops were introduced in spring 2014 and are quite popular. Library materials are taken to residential locations once a month so residents can browse the collection, check out books, visit with the librarian, and enjoy library service without leaving home. Current lobby stop locations are :
- Johnstown Towers, 623 Johnstown Ave.
- Smoky Hill Villa Apartments, 2145 Tulane
- Arbor Court, 1000 Schippel
- McCall Manor, 626 S. Third St.
- Presbyterian Manor, 2601 E. Crawford
- Eaglecrest, 1501 E. Magnolia
- Speakers Bureau features library staff who can speak to your civic group or club about a variety of library services and programs, and more. Take a look at the range of programs and book your speaker today.
- Reading Programs
Past Salina Reads selections:
2013 "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon
2014 "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan
2015 "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel
Book Drop Locations
Salina Public Library's three remote book drops are available for returning most library items. Materials are collected each morning (early afternoon on Sundays). Book drops are located at Dillon's stores:
- 1201 W. Crawford St.
- 2350 Planet Ave.
- 1235 E. Cloud St.