|Youth Community Engagement||Home Delivery||CLASS||Little Libraries||Pop-Up Library|
|Lobby Stops||Speakers Bureau||Reading Programs||Book Drop Locations|
Salina Public Library serves patrons both inside its building and out in the community. We want to meet your needs. Share your ideas with us here.
Storytimes are presented at local early childhood educations centers during the school year. We currently visit:
- Salina Child Care
- St. Mary's Love 'n' Learn.
Bitty Bites Salina Public Library partners with CAPS, Salina Emergency Food Bank and K-State Extension Services to provide a monthly program for parents and their preschoolers. The children take part in story time, then make a snack inspired by the book. Parents learn tips on how to aid their child's development. Bitty Bites takes place at the Salina Emergency Food Bank, 255 S. Chicago. Sign up is required by calling Peggy at CAPS 785-825-4493.
Child Care Delivery is a new service offered by the library and is available to registered child care providers in Salina. Fill out an application to begin receiving monthly deliveries of children's books.
- Patrons who are temporarily or permanently confined to their homes or who live in nursing homes, care centers or retirement residences may have library materials delivered to them at no charge. Home Delivery is available to residents of Salina. To enroll in Home Delivery, call Lori at (785) 825-4624, ext. 249, or print an application form.
- Homebound patrons requiring audiobooks may be interested in the CKLS Talking Books Service. They provide books and magazines in braille and in audio format, along with the audio equipment needed. To set up this service, visit their website or call 1-800-362-2642.
A Little Library is a "take a book, return a book" free book exchange. Donated and discarded library materials are distributed to our four Little Libraries. Book donations are accepted at the library anytime during regular business hours. Little Libraries are located at:
- Kansas Wesleyan University, at the corner of Highland Ave. and Claflin St.
- YMCA, 570 YMCA Dr.
- Jerry Ivey Memorial Park, 735 E. Magnolia Rd.
- Salina Regional Health Center lobby, 400 S. Santa Fe Ave.
- Hawthorne Park, 715 N. Ninth St.
- Sunset Park, 700 W. Sunset Dr.
- Salina Area Technical College, 2562 Centennial Rd.
- Centennial Park, 746 Commanche Ave.
Thank you to our current adopters:
Melanie Terrill and Mike Soetaert
Altrusa International of Salina
The Chaffin family
North Salina Community Development
Stony Ridge 4-H Club
Lobby Stops were introduced in spring 2014 and are quite popular. Library materials are taken to residential locations once a month so residents can browse the collection, check out books, visit with the librarian, and enjoy library service without leaving home. Current lobby stop locations are:
- Johnstown Towers, 623 Johnstown Ave.
- Smoky Hill Villa Apartments, 2145 Tulane
- Arbor Court, 1000 Schippel
- McCall Manor, 626 S. Third St.
- Presbyterian Manor, 2601 E. Crawford
- Eaglecrest, 1501 E. Magnolia
Past Salina Reads selections:
2013 "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon
2014 "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan
2015 "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel
Salina Public Library's three remote book drops are available for returning most library items. Materials are collected each morning (early afternoon on Sundays). Book drops are located at Dillon's stores:
- 1201 W. Crawford St.
- 2350 Planet Ave.
- 1235 E. Cloud St.